DescriptionMINERAL SPECIMENS AND THE MINES THEY CAME FROM: LIMITED EDITION LITHOGRAPHS
Artist: CARL R. BENTLEY
Watercolor over Lithographs, Signed and Numbered by the Artist, Set 44 out of 150
This is a set of six artworks by Carl R. Bentley. Each lithograph depicts a famous mine along with a mineral specimen that would have come out of that mine. Each of these limited edition lithographs has been hand watercolored by the artist and numbered. This set includes:
· Purple Adamite from the Ojuela Mine: The scenic image is of the Ojuela mine adit with the Roebling bridge that was built in 1899. In front of that scene is a depiction of a purple Adamite from the famous one-time-only find of 1981.
· Bisbee Azurite on Malachite: The scene is of the Copper Queen Mine's "Glory Hole" circa 1910 and the mineral specimen is from Carl Bentley's collection. It shows green Malachite stalagmites with an overcoating of blue Azurite rosettes.
· Tsumeb Dioptase: The detailed image of the headframe of the famed Tsumeb Mine, circa 1910, is depicted along with a specimen of bright green Dioptase on white Calcite.
· Copper in Calcite from the Quincy Mine: The headframe of the Quincy #2 Mine of Hancock, Michigan fame, which was built in 1908, is shown. In front of that scene is a Copper in Calcite specimen from that same mine which is from Carl Bentley's personal collection.
· Red Cloud Wulfenite: The lithograph shows the famous mine building known for the "Wulfenite is Love" grafitti (inscribed by Terry Szenics in a bygone era) at the Red Cloud mine site. In the foreground is a Red Cloud Wulfenite specimen, hand colored in bright oranges and yellows.
· Himalaya Tourmaline: The artwork shows what the Himalaya mine looked like circa 1904, as the miners worked the area by hand. In the foreground are Himalaya Tourmalines with their characteristic coloration of pink and green with a sprinkling of Albite.
The artist, Carl Bentley (b. 1941), holds a degree from Michigan Technological University (1969) in geology and has had a career as a commercial artist/art director. He is well known in the mineral collecting community. All of the lithographs are in good condition with slight bumps to the lower right corner, but nothing of consequence. They have been maintained in a art folio so that the colors are bright and have not faded.
Overall Measurements of each Lithograph: 11 x 14 inches (27.94 x 35.56 cm).
Offered at no reserve.
Robinson, S. (1989, Nov/Dec). Of Mines and Men: A Look at Art That Depicts Mining. Rocks & Minerals, 64 (6), 476-495.
Robinson, S. (2003, Nov/Dec). Artist of the Creatures of the Mines Series: Carl Bentley. Rocks & Minerals, 78 (6), 404-406.
Wilson, W. Carl R. Bentley. The Mineralogical Record Museum of Art. Available from: http://www.minrec.org/artwork.asp?artistid=21&cat=1
Condition report available upon request.
*Heritage Auctions strives to provide as much information as possible but encourages in-person inspection by bidders. Statements regarding the condition of objects are only for general guidance and should not be relied upon as complete statements of fact, and do not constitute a representation, warranty or assumption of liability by Heritage. Please note that we do not de-frame lots estimated at $1,000 or less and may not be able to provide additional details for lots valued under $500. All lots are sold "AS IS" under the Terms & Conditions of Auction.
Fees, Shipping, and Handling Description: Other (TBD) (view shipping information)
Sales Tax information | Terms and Conditions
Bidding Guidelines and Bid Increments
Glossary of Terms
Buyer's Premium per Lot:
25% on the first $100,000 (minimum $14), plus 20% of any amount between $100,000 and $1,000,000, plus 12% of any amount over $1,000,000 per lot.
Opens about 01/02/2018
- Past Auction Values (prices, photos, full descriptions, etc.)
- Bid online
- Free Collector newsletter
- Want List with instant e-mail notifications
- Reduced auction commissions when you resell your
- Cash Advances
- More Bidders
- Trusted Experts
- Over 200,000 Satisfied Consignors Since 1976
Learn about consigning with us
I look forward to several future consignments with Heritage and with your continued guidance and expertise.View More Testimonials
HA.com receives more traffic than any other auction house website. (Source: Similarweb.com)