A GORHAM SILVER REPOUSSÉ WATER PITCHER . Gorham Manufacturing Co., Providence, Rhode Island, circa 1887. Marks: (lion-anchor...
|Sold for:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Claim Item:||Sign-in or Join (free & quick)|
|Auction Ended On:||Jun 14, 2013|
6 Internet/mail/phone bidders
1,313 page views
Heritage Auctions - Design District Annex
1518 Slocum Street
Gorham Manufacturing Co., Providence, Rhode Island, circa 1887
Marks: (lion-anchor-G), STERLING, (fleur-de-lis)
6-3/8 inches high (16.2 cm)
The nautical theme pitcher with deep repoussé decoration, mask below spout depicting a fantastical sea creature, the design continuing to sides as scrolling sea grass, shaped everted rim, C-scroll handle as a beaded octopus tentacle, tentacle-like vines continuing to body and at base of handle shell mounts.
Condition Report*:The bottom with dents, minor pin point nicks, light surface scratching, very nicely presented and well preserved.
Gorham Manufacturing Co.:The Gorham Corporation, based in Providence, Rhode Island, was the most prolific and influential silver company in America from 1850-1940, at the height of the industry. Founded in 1831 as “Gorham & Webster” by master craftsmen Jabez Gorham and Henry Webster, the firm first marketed coin silver spoons and other small items, such as jewelry, thimbles, and combs. Gorham’s son, John, took over the company when his father retired in 1847 and modernized the factory, introducing machine production and growing the inventory to include, by the 1860s, novel electroplated wares (with nickel silver as the base metal). In 1865 “Gorham & Co.” officially became “Gorham Manufacturing Co.” through a charter issued by the Rhode Island government, and in 1884 the expanded firm opened a store in the Ladies’ Mile Shopping District in New York City. Gorham silver nationwide was recognizable by its distinctive trademark: a lion, an anchor, and a capital G. Gorham employed numerous talented designers specializing in both domestic and ecclesiastical wares, such Erik Magnussen, Thomas J. Pairpoint, and William C. Codman, who created the famous Chantilly flatware pattern in 1885, so popular that matching hollowware was developed in sterling and silver plate. Commissions from the rich and powerful were equally numerous: a tea and flatware service in 1859 for Mary Todd Lincoln; a Century Vase for Mrs. Ulysses S. Grant on the occasion of the country’s centennial anniversary; a loving cup in 1899 for Admiral George Dewey; a 740-piece Victorian silver service, including the monumental “Neptune” epergne, for Colonel Henry Jewett Furber, president of Universal Life Insurance Co. in New York; and a silver service in 1907 for the battleship USS Rhode Island. Among Gorham’s important sculptural commissions were the monument of George Washington in the Capitol’s Rotunda, the statue of Theodore Roosevelt in New York City, and the “Independent Man” atop the Rhode Island State House. During the twentieth century, Gorham variously consolidated other silver companies: Whiting, Durgin, and Kerr in 1906-07, Mt. Vernon Co. Silversmiths, Inc. in 1913, Alvin Silver Co. in 1928, Black Starr and Frost in 1929, McChesney Co. in 1931, Quaker Silver Co. in 1959, Friedman Co. in 1960, and Graff, Washbourne & Dunn in 1961. In 1967 the Gorham Corporation was sold to Textron Inc.
*Heritage Auctions strives to provide as much information as possible but encourages in-person inspection by bidders. Statements regarding the condition of objects are only for general guidance and should not be relied upon as complete statements of fact, and do not constitute a representation, warranty or assumption of liability by Heritage. Please note that we do not de-frame lots estimated at $1,000 or less and may not be able to provide additional details for lots valued under $500. All lots are sold "AS IS" under the Terms & Conditions of Auction.
Service and Handling Description: Hollowware/Pottery/Glass, Small (view shipping information)
Current Items in Heritage Auctions for this artist